My Photo
Name:

As a former foster myself, my passion is to advocate side-by-side with young people in and from foster care, to partner with them to design proactive policy solutions, and to promote resources to improve outcomes.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Quoting from another blogger

I've always felt the same way about these lyrics, and I loved this posting:

http://cravingideas.blogs.com/backinskinnyjeans/2006/06/that_i_would_be.html

She wrote:
That I would be good
by Alanis Morissette
Album: Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

Alanis Morissette is one of those songwriters whose lyrics always articulate into song some part of my life that I cannot. "That I would be good" is one of those songs that hit me at the core because she sings about something that I have struggled with my whole life, feeling good enough just as I am. Feeling good enough because I am beautiful as I am. Feeling worthy enough for the love of a special man just because I am me. Feeling good enough that I do have unique and special talents that others would appreciate.

Many women, I know, feel like this. Not feeling good enough is a compulsion that makes many of us ache, depressed, and desperate. This is especially true when it comes to our physical appearance, and that is why we obsess about fixing what isn't "good", so that we could be good. What Alanis is saying in her song is that we are good regardless.

Some lines in the song that grab me:

that I would be good even if I got the thumbs down

that I would be good even if I gained ten pounds
that I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
that I would be good whether with or without you

There was a time a few years ago where I would just drive for hours and sing songs. That I would be good was one of those songs I would sing as loud as I could, and then cry as hard as I could. It was car therapy, and it helped me get through a rough time in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home